Bacon Wrapped Sausages
I love smoked sausage, if I am ever going to a smokehouse for dinner I always get the sausage as one of my meats. I also love bacon, ever since I won the Canadian bacon championships its been a passion of mine to include bacon with all sorts of dishes. When you combine bacon and sausage you really pump up the flavours of both meats, so I recommend giving it a try. This recipe was inspired by my friend Saffron from www.bushcooking.com and her home made bacon wrapped sausage recipe here: https://bushcooking.com/recipes/bacon-wrapped-sausageWe are going to use Johnsonville sausages in this one because they are premade, small enough to wrap a whole sausage with 1 piece of bacon and they are also gluten free.
- 1 each Pack Johnsonville mild Italian sausages
- 1 each Pack of thick cut bacon
- ¼ cup Heath Riles Honey Rub
- 1 tsp Gluten Free Worcester Sauce
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Apple Juice (as required)
- Preheat the smoker or BBQ to 250 degrees.On a baking sheet or cutting board, lay out 6 slices of bacon next to each other. Place a sausage onto each slice of bacon and then wrap it around tightly, cut off any excess bacon when you get to the end or consider overlapping the bacon a little bit to that there is no excess bacon. You don’t need to secure the bacon with a toothpick because you will place the bacon seam side down when putting it on the smoker, so gravity should keep it in place.
Prepping the Glaze
- Combine the rub, sauces and apple juice in a small bowl and stir until well incorporated. Keep adding apple juice until it reaches to consistency of a spreadable paste.
Smoking the sausages
- Place the sausages on the smoker for about 45 minutes making sure to have the bacon seam side down so it doesn’t start unwrapping as it shrinks.
Glazing the sausages
- Paint the glaze onto the outside of the bacon and let them continue cooking for the final 15 minutes, if you want the glaze to be shinier or thicker you can repeat this step as many times as you like.
Resting and serving
- Once the sausages are done you can pull them off the smoker and rest for 5 minutes before serving either sliced or on a bun.
Step by Step
- Wrap sausages in bacon
- Prep the glaze by mixing the rub, sauces and apple juice
- Smoke the sausage for 45 minutes at 250 degrees
- Glaze the outside of the sausage and continue smoking for 15 more minutes
- Rest and serve
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!